How do you report damage to a car sharing rental vehicle?

New vehicle damage to SIXT share or MILES cars should be reported directly to the respective customer service.

In the hvv switch app you can display already reported damage of the reserved car for inspection before the start of the rental. At this point, you will have the opportunity to contact the respective customer service directly by phone to give up new damages.

If you identify damage at a TIER e-scooter, please report it to the TIER customer service.